This Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast pulls out all the stops, with a decadent balsamic cherry syrup, mounds of fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Hi ho, cherry-o! I’m so excited to bring you this Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast today because it’s honestly the most drool-worthy breakfast I’ve made in a long time. Although these Strawberry Matcha Brioche Donuts are coming in hot!
Side note: did any of you play the board game Hi Ho, Cherry-O when you were growing up? Seeing these perfect cherries with their perfect stems sitting atop the cloud of whipped cream on this French toast gave me major childhood flashbacks of playing the rudimentary counting game with my mom, picking little plastic cherry toy pieces from the tree into my basket. I’m actually shocked I can remember such a thing because I must have only been two or three or whatever age kids are when they learn how to count…
Now I can’t help but think oh, what fun it must have been for my mom to keep track of all those tiny cherry toy pieces! But I digress…
Let’s get into this Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast already!
HOW TO MAKE BALSAMIC CHERRY BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST:
- It starts with a decadent dark cherry syrup made with fresh cherries, sugar, balsamic vinegar and a hint of vanilla. A splash of balsamic vinegar gives it a nice complexity and keeps it out of sickly sweet range.
- If fresh cherries aren’t in season, you can definitely use frozen.
- The French toast recipe is pretty basic, but using fancy brioche bread is the key to a mouthwatering, fluffy texture.
- I always like to include a pinch of salt in the soaking liquid to balance out the sweetness from the sugar and cinnamon.
- Turn your oven on to 200 degrees and keep the finished French toast warm in there while you cook the rest!
Finish off this Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast with a generous spoonful of syrup, a light dusting of powdered sugar and mounds of fresh whipped cream for an irresistible start to your day.
This is definitely a meal worth splurging for, and a total crowd-pleaser to boot.
If you make this Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast, snap a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #LePetitEats, I love seeing your creations!
Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast
This Balsamic Cherry Brioche French Toast pulls out all the stops, with a balsamic cherry compote, fresh vanilla whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
FOR THE BALSAMIC CHERRY COMPOTE:
- 1 1/2 pounds cherries rinsed, stemmed & pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST:
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 loaf day-old brioche cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- Confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Fresh whipped cream
In a medium sized pot, combine cherries, sugar, vinegar and vanilla. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a heat-safe bowl to cool. Syrup will thicken as it cools.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, salt and milk. Add cinnamon and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
Layer bread slices in a shallow baking dish and pour over egg mixture. Let stand until bread begins to absorb liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn bread slices and let bread absorb liquid on the opposite side, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
Working in batches, coat the bottom of a medium skillet with some of the butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 slices of soaked bread and cook until golden brown. Flip bread and cook on the other side until golden brown and crisp, adding butter as necessary. Transfer French toast to baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat this process with remaining butter and bread.
Serve French toast immediately dusted with confectioners' sugar, balsamic cherry syrup, and fresh whipped cream.