These Dark Chocolate Alfajores feature light as air butter cookies filled with homemade dulce de leche, covered with dark chocolate and finished with a sprinkling of sea salt. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeHolidayGoodness #CollectiveBias
I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Alfajores, but they’ve been a holiday staple for my Peruvian family ever since I can remember. They’re basically these amazingly light and crumbly butter sandwich cookies that have dulce de leche in the middle. There is always a plate of them out at our Christmas Eve dinner so they definitely have that holiday association for me.
Usually alfajores are covered in a dusting of powdered sugar, but I’ve also seen them covered in chocolate, so this year I wanted to make dark chocolate alfajores with sea salt for a new twist on our tradition. I used NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk and NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Condensed Milk to make a killer dulce de leche from scratch.
The last component of these dark chocolate alfajores is the finishing touch: I dipped half of each cookie into melted dark chocolate that I made using NESTLÉ® Tollhouse Morsels. Most other alfajores I have seen with chocolate are completely covered in it, but I wanted the sandwich cookie to still be somewhat visible because of that gorgeous layer of dulce de leche, so that’s why I opted to do just half, and I love how they turned out!
I love keeping old holiday traditions alive by just doing a little something different, like I did with these dark chocolate alfajores, and NESTLÉ® products make it so easy to do that with all of their baking goods that contain no artificial colors or flavors, such as:
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels
- NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Brownies & More
You can pick up all these items and more for all your holiday baking needs at your local Walmart, which is where I purchased mine.
Dark Chocolate Alfajores with Sea Salt
These Dark Chocolate Alfajores feature light as air butter cookies filled with homemade dulce de leche, covered with dark chocolate and finished with a sprinkling of sea salt.
For the dulce de leche:
- 1 14 ounce can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 12 ounce can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter 1 stick, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 large egg yolks cold
- 12 ounces NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Flaky sea salt
- Place sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk in a large saucepan. Simmer on low, stirring often, for about one hour or until light brown.
- Pass mixture through a fine mesh strainer and whisk well until smooth. Store in a glass jar with lid.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, tapioca starch, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to form a fine and sandy meal, then add egg yolks and continue processing until the dough balls up around the blade. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into two balls.
- Roll dough until roughly 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into 2-inch rounds and slide a thin offset spatula under dough to loosen any places that might have stuck. Arrange cutouts on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch between cookies. Gather the scraps, briefly knead, and re-roll and cut as before. Repeat with remaining dough, for about 48 cookies.
- Bake until just beginning to brown around the edges, about 15 minutes, and cool to room temperature directly on baking sheet.
- Flip half the cookies bottom side up and gently spread a dollop of dulce de leche into the very center. Top with remaining cookies, twisting and pressing gently to secure.
- Place chocolate morsels in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment, until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to set. Sprinkle immediately with sea salt and allow chocolate to harden and set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.