Today’s recipe is one I adapted from Tone it Up, an online fitness and nutrition community I have been following for the past couple of years. Trainers Karena and Katrina are two personal trainers who have developed a uniquely interactive online health and lifestyle website. They primarily post fun workout challenges and videos, but I especially love to browse their site for healthy recipe inspirations. These Mango Vegetable Spring Rolls are just one of the many health conscious dishes that they created for their nutrition plan. They spring rolls are crisp and colorful, and the date sauce is absolutely to. die. for. I may or may not have licked the bowl.
This recipe is easily adaptable in that you can use whatever veggies you have on hand, which is exactly what I decided to do when I had a craving for something fresh and an abundance of produce just begging to be used. But the best part about this recipe, besides the fantastic flavor of course, is that the spring rolls are raw, vegan and gluten free- a triple threat. This is exactly the sort of thing to have for a post-Thanksgiving detox meal after the turkey and mashed potato leftovers are long gone. Your waistline (and your taste buds) will thank you!
Mango Vegetable Spring Rolls with Ginger-Date Dipping Sauce
- for the dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup gluten free tamari
- 6 dates
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. white miso
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- for the spring rolls:
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 mango sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced into matchsticks
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup basil chopped
- 8 chives
- 4 rice paper wraps
- To make the dipping sauce, place tamari, dates, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, miso and lime juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. If the sauce appears too thick, thin out by adding water 1 teaspoon at a time and pulsing until a desired consistency is reached.
- Dampen the rice paper wraps by soaking them individually in a shallow bowl filled with lukewarm water for 15-30 seconds. Spread on a flat, clean surface. Bundle spinach in the center of the wrap followed by 1/4 of each of the remaining ingredients.
- Grab end of rice paper closest to you and fold over ingredients, tucking as you go. Fold in each side and continue to roll away from you. Halve diagonally and serve with dipping sauce.
adapted from Toneitup.com