If you love stuff on toast you’ll go crazy for these Whipped Feta Tomato Jam Tartines- smooth, creamy whipped feta is topped with a sweet homemade tomato jam and finished with fresh thyme.
Sometimes I wonder if anyone else out there gets as excited as I do about things on toast. Crostini, bruschetta and ESPECIALLY tartines– they’re always my favorite form of appetizer. I know there are other toast enthusiasts out there, because otherwise that hashtag #stuffontoast wouldn’t even exist.
I made them as part of a spread for a ladies’ happy hour I attended with some fellow Santa Barbara girl bosses recently. How much do you love this table that was styled by Jaime Kostechko of Wild Heart Events? Don’t all my nibbles look insanely pretty on those boards? Little entertaining tip: whenever you can, serve things on boards—->people will go nuts.
Little bites like these whipped feta tomato jam tartines are so appropriate whenever wine is involved. For some reason stuff on toast just naturally pairs well with wine. But the best thing about them is that they can be prepared in advance and quickly assembled just before serving, which brings me to another entertaining tip: make as much as you can in advance, so you can enjoy the party.
This is basically three mini recipes in one, but they’re all super easy- first you’ll make your tomato jam, definitely ahead of time because you’ll want it to cool completely and thicken. Day before even. This is a big batch because you WILL want leftovers. It’s good stuff. There are big slivers of garlic and fresh chopped herbs in there.
Then whip up the feta (literally). Also can be done way ahead of time.
And don’t skimp on REALLY good bread. Like, the best you can find. Toast it up (in the oven is better so they toast all at once and you’re not standing over a toaster for ages going two at a time). Your last step is to assemble these babies and sprinkle them with fresh thyme leaves for some contrast and freshness. You’re going to love how the salty, briny feta plays against the lightly sweet tomato jam. And if you’re gluten free/not into bread, this combo will work on any crunchy vehicle, like a seeded cracker or whatever. I think I’m onto something with that, actually…
Whipped Feta Tomato Jam Tartines
Whipped Feta Tomato Jam Tartines- smooth, creamy whipped feta is topped with a sweet homemade tomato jam and finished with fresh thyme.
FOR THE TOMATO JAM:
- 2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary chopped
FOR THE WHIPPED FETA:
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled and at room temperature
- 3 ounces whipped cream cheese room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE TARTINES:
- 1 loaf wheat bread sliced and toasted
- Thyme leaves for garnish
- Place chopped tomatoes and sugar in a large pot. Mix well and let stand for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring tomatoes and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary and cook until thickened, about 10-15 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add crumbled feta to a food processor and pulse until small crumbs remain. Add in cream cheese and puree for 4-5 minutes, scraping down the sides when necessary, until mixture reaches a creamy consistency.
- Spread toast with whipped feta and top with tomato jam. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.