Happy New Year?
Can I even still say that in February? Since my last post was alllll the way back at Christmastime I sort of feel the need to explain my brief absence from the blogosphere. Fret not, twas for a good reason: I’ve been busy giving my blog a little facelift! The blog formerly located at LePetitChefSB.blogspot.com now resides here, at LePetitEats.com- new name, new look, same great recipes!
I’ve actually been working on this transition for
ever several months, tinkering here and there in what few spare moments I had, and I felt like I would never finish. But in January I promised myself that I would buckle down and finish the revamp so that I finally could share it with all of you, even if it meant lagging on new posts. So here it is- I wanted to give my blog a cleaner design and a more functional feel; I couldn’t be more pleased with the results and I certainly hope you feel the same! Let me know what you think in the comments!
And now, on to the good stuff. I’m so happy to be back creating recipes instead of up to my ears in html code! In the spirit of the new year and this time of renewal, this Dairy Free Smoked Salmon Mousse recipe takes an old, tried-and-true recipe and with a couple of simple tweaks, transforms the dish into something lighter, healthier and more versatile.
I’ve made these smoked salmon mousse appetizers using my traditional recipe several times. It’s a fancy, dainty little finger food, the kind that just looks too nice to eat. You can imagine how perfectly this simple nosh would fit in at a bridal shower, baby shower, engagement party…you get the idea. It’s one of my most popular items among the ladies-who-lunch crowd (and there is no shortage of that set in this town). But what to do when one of those lunching ladies requests a dairy free meal?
Fortunately, I recently discovered that this smoked salmon mousse is easily adaptable for non-dairy dieters. I simply swapped out regular cream cheese with a vegan version and used soy creamer in place of heavy cream.
That’s seriously it. The results of this Dairy Free Smoked Salmon Mousse are just as delectable as the original! It doesn’t get more marvelous than that, dah-ling.
Dairy Free Smoked Salmon Mousse
Dairy Free Smoked Salmon Mousse is rich, smooth and creamy- it makes a wonderful appetizer when generously piped over a cool, crisp cucumber cup!
- 4 oz. smoked salmon sliced
- 6 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. soy creamer
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 large English cucumbers sliced 1 inch thick
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the center seeds from each cucumber slice, leaving the bottoms intact. Set aside.
- Place smoked salmon in a food processor and pulse until a paste mixture forms.
- Add vegan cream cheese, lemon juice, soy creamer and 1 tablespoon dill to food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper and blend until a smooth, whipped consistency is reached.
- Transfer mousse to a piping bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe onto cucumber slices. Garnish each with a sprig of dill.
This recipe obviously also works with regular cream cheese