As I sit down to write this post it’s currently 7:30pm and I could SO easily curl up under the covers and call it a night. Instead I’m sipping a cup of green tea because I refuse to let my inner granny win this early in the evening, especially since I have a 9:15 Hunger Games movie date with the bestie. Must. Not. Pass. Out. I’m fully aware that the culprit of my lagging energy is the inevitable sugar crash that came as a result of nibbling on too many of these Eggnog Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars, which are so irresistibly delicious that I couldn’t stop myself from snacking on them ALL DAY long. I’m not even joking. Several sneaky trips were made to the fridge today.
Now I’m paying for it, but that shouldn’t stop you from making a batch of this incredible hybrid holiday dessert. Luscious, creamy cheesecake bars are flavored with freshly grated nutmeg and real eggnog (we all know how much I love eggnog desserts!) for a deliciously seasonal twist.
But the best part about these bars is the creme brulee inspired caramelized sugar topping. It adds the perfect crunchy contrast to the rich cheesecake filling, and it’s probably what makes these babies so addicting.
Definitely make a batch of these Eggnog Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars because they’re absolutely magical. But take my advice and bring them to the office or a holiday gathering to share, lest you eat them all and wind up like me- with the post sugar rush blues waiting for the green tea to work it’s caffeinated magic.
Eggnog Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars
- For the crust:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray for pan
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs finely ground
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- For the cheesecake filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the topping:
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Special equipment: culinary torch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Evenly coat a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, combine graham crackers, 3 tablespoons sugar, and melted butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan and bake until crust is just brown around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, egg yolk, eggnog, flour, vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt. Beat until smooth. Pour filling over cooled crust.
- Set baking dish inside of a larger baking dish or roasting pan and add enough hot water to the larger baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the smaller baking dish holding the cheesecake batter.
- Bake until the outside is set and center is still slightly jiggly, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove baking pan from water bath and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut bars into squares. Sprinkle each square with an even layer of sugar and caramelize sugar with a culinary torch.