This Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is basically magic on a plate. It’s low-carb, gluten free, vegan and SO incredibly satisfying. Make this when you’re craving a cheat meal (but don’t actually want to cheat).
In January John and I decided to do a two-week overhaul on our diets. Since the aftermath of holiday gluttony left us both craving carb-y, sugary, naughty stuff on a daily basis, we knew something had to be done. So Goop’s annual detox diet came to the rescue with a one week meal plan that eliminates gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, caffeine and alcohol. And then we thought, why not stretch it into two weeks? Because we’re hard core like that.
The first few days were ROUGH, I’m not gonna lie. But the recipes were vibrant, imaginative and so nutritious that we started to feel great after the initial battle with the cravings wore off. Holiday bloat? Gone. Energy levels? Way up. Jeans? Fitting perfectly, thank you very much.
In fact, we’ve felt so incredible that we’ve decided to shift our long term eating habits towards a primarily plant-based diet, while still incorporating smart proteins like organic chicken and wild caught seafood into our meals on occasion. And a couple of cheat meals per week so we can indulge in whatever we want, but it’s been wonderful experimenting with new vegan recipes to add to our repertoire.
Which brings me to this vegan, gluten free, low carb, SO INCREDIBLY SATISFYING Spaghetti Squash Alfredo. I’ll make this when I’m craving a cheat meal but it’s not a cheat meal day, and I seriously don’t even miss the real thing!
I pinned a similar recipe using traditional Alfredo sauce with spaghetti squash a couple of years ago, but I still have never made it! I guess I figure if you’re making a rich, buttery, creamy, cheesy sauce you’re already most of the way down the rabbit hole…you might as well dive in and have the pasta too while you’re at it.
Cauliflower based “cream” sauce is basically some kind of miracle sent from the angels.
Slather it on top of roasted spaghetti squash (another one of nature’s treasures) that’s been roasted to perfection and your creamy pasta wishes are hereby granted (but without the side of self-loathing).
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo (Vegan+Gluten Free)
This Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is basically magic on a plate. It's low-carb, gluten free, vegan and incredibly satisfying.
- 1 large spaghetti squash halved and seeds removed.
- 2 cloves garlic minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups cauliflower florets chopped into large pieces
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or vegan butter substitute
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place spaghetti squash halves on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Rub with half of minced garlic (set aside the remaining minced garlic to be used later) and season with salt. Roast for 30-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Steam or boil cauliflower until fork tender, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a small skillet and heat over medium low heat. Sauté remaining garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add to food processor along with almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, nutmeg, Earth Balance and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Scrape the spaghetti squash with a fork to release strands and season with additional salt, if desired. Transfer spaghetti squash to plates and spoon the cauliflower Alfredo sauce on top. Garnish with parsley and serve.