The only thing better than how incredible this Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip tastes is how quickly it comes together! In less than ten minutes, you’ll have a wonderful appetizer ready that makes a lasting impression.
I’ve been wanting to make a Mediterranean dip for you guys for awhile. Now seems like the perfect time because with football season rolling around (or has it already started?? Clearly I don’t keep up), it’s time to start thinking about appetizers and tailgating snacks.
Truthfully, this Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip is something that can and should be enjoyed all throughout the year- not just relegated to sporting events. It’s a reimagining of Mexican seven layer dip that’s typically enjoyed with tortilla chips and which I’m sure you’ve all had countless times. Mine uses a base of hummus and complimentary toppings. In lieu of tortilla chips, it’s served with pita chips, pita bread, vegetables or a combination of all of three. Same concept, different cultural interpretation.
I tend to go light on the layers rather than piling it all on, since I like to still be able to see the hummus and easily differentiate between each ingredient. Personally I think it looks more elegant that way, but if you really want to layer it up, feel free to double or even triple the amount of toppings listed in the recipe.
The real beauty about this Seven Layer Mediterranean Seven Layer dip is how quickly it comes together. If you’re using store bought hummus then this can go from prep to serving in under ten minutes!
What’s in this Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip:
- Hummus- you can use store bought or make it from scratch.
- Persian cucumber- I like using the Persian variety because it’s seedless and is in keeping with the Mediterranean vibes of this dip, although any variety of cucumber will do.
- Pomegranate arils
- Olive Oil
- A sprinkle of Aleppo pepper; this is totally optional and feel free to substitute with any Mediterranean herb or spice you have on hand!
Variations on this Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip:
- Change up the flavor of hummus: the recipe calls for plain, but roasted garlic, bell pepper or lemon hummus would all be wonderful too.
- If you want to keep this dip vegan, simply omit the feta
- Instead of mint, try another fresh herb like parsley or oregano
- Examples of other Mediterranean spices you could use in place of Aleppo pepper include sumac, za’atar and dried oregano.
Thanks for reading! To keep up with me in the kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. If you make this Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip, don’t forget to share it using the hashtag #LePetitEats!
Seven Layer Mediterranean Dip
- 2 cups store-bought or homemade hummus
- 1 persian cucumber diced
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons feta crumbled
- 2 tablespoons mint finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac optional
- Pita chips pita bread, or fresh vegetables, for serving
- Spread hummus in an even layer onto a platter or shallow bowl. Top with cucumber, pomegranate, feta and mint. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac or other Mediterranean spice, if using.
- Serve with pita chips, pita bread and/or fresh vegetables.