This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VidaAguacate #CollectiveBias. Serving Tropical Salmon Ceviche inside of a grilled avocado is innovative, fresh and fun!Growing up in a Mexican/Peruvian household, avocados were a daily staple that we enjoyed with every meal- with eggs for breakfast, in salads and sandwiches for lunch, and with tacos and other classic Latin dishes for dinner.
Avocados always have and always will play an integral part in my cooking, which is why I am so excited to be partnering with Avocados From Mexico today to bring you a creative, innovative avocado recipe, and to tell you about their Vida Aguacate Club– go join for lots of avocado recipe inspiration, and enter their exciting giveaway for a chance to win a $125 gift card or a selfie stick!
Avocados From Mexico Sweepstakes
Getting back to my avo obsession though, I will legit eat avocado toast for any meal of the day, and sometimes I will just sprinkle them with flaky salt and literally eat them straight out of the skin as a nutritious snack. They’re the perfect food in my opinion- smooth, creamy, full of satisfying good fats, as well as nearly 20 essential vitamins and minerals, and they’re always in season, so you’ll never have a hard time finding a ripe one!
But it wasn’t until I grew up and embarked on a career as a personal chef that I started to branch out and utilize avocados in new and unexpected ways.
For example, have you ever grilled an avocado? It’s the most AH-MAZING thing ever. Grilling avocados transforms their flavor and texture, makes them somehow creamier, and it is my personal belief that a little char makes everything better.
Not to mention they are a perfect vehicle for stuffing with things like this Tropical Salmon Ceviche! This dish is inspired by something that I would always order when my family would dine at our local Peruvian restaurant. It’s called palta rellena (stuffed avocado) and it’s traditionally a fresh avocado half stuffed with a cold chicken salad. I wanted to elevate my version by grilling the avocado and stuffing it with a tropical salmon ceviche (another Peruvian staple) with pineapple, mango, bell pepper, jalapeño and cilantro. It’s sweet, tart and super simple to make.
What I love most about this recipe is that while you could easily just chop up the avocado and mix it into the ceviche, it’s so much more creative stuffing the ceviche inside of a grilled avocado. It’s a surefire way to impress your dinner guests with something out of the ordinary!
It’s best to use a firm, ripe avocado for this recipe- one that yields to gentle pressure but is ready to eat- so that it holds up to the grilling. What would you stuff inside your grilled avocado? I’d love to see, so share your pics on Instagram using the hashtags #LePetitEats and #VidaAguacate!
Tropical Salmon Ceviche Stuffed Grilled Avocado
Serving Tropical Salmon Ceviche inside of a grilled avocado is innovative, fresh and fun!
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup mango finely diced
- 1/4 cup pineapple finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño finely diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 pound very fresh salmon fillets cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Avocados From Mexico halved and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Add red onion, bell pepper, mango, pineapple, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and lemon juice to a medium glass or plastic bowl and stir to combine.
- Gently mix in the salmon, season with salt and pepper and let stand, stirring occasionally, until salmon is opaque and slightly firm to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the avocados. Brush the cut halves with oil and place cut side down on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Spoon ceviche inside grilled avocado halves.
Ceviche should be eaten fresh as the citrus juice will make the fish tough over time.
What a lovely combination of flavors! Thanks #client
This is most definitely the most clever way to serve ceviche that I have ever seen and I bet that creamy avocado really helps with the acidity.